The Water Register is a public register of all water-related entitlements in Victoria.
It has been designed and built to record water entitlements with integrity and provide crucial information for managing Victoria’s water resources.
The Water Register:
- holds water shares recorded by the Victorian Water Registrar, together with mortgages and limited term transfers (leases) relevant to these water shares
- holds records of licences to take and use surface water and groundwater
- holds records of works-related licences
- records water allocations that are available in the current season
- tracks and reconciles volumes of water entitlements by water system and trading zone
- holds water-use licences and delivery shares that are managed by water corporations
- includes workflows to process water dealings, and keeps audit trails
- generates statistics and reports on levels of use, directions of trade, and prices paid
Most water register transactions incur prescribed fees under the Water (Resource Management) Regulations 2007. These fees are adjusted annually in line with the consumer price index. A list of the current fees is available here.
Key statistics are available free.