Unregulated waterways are streams or rivers where the flow is not interrupted by dams or weirs, and the volume of water available for diversion is based entirely on rainfall and runoff.

Accessing water for irrigation from unregulated waterways in Victoria requires a take and use licence, and may require a works licence.

To download a Copy of Record for an existing groundwater or unregulated waterway take-and-use licence, or works licence, click here.

Restrictions on entitlement

Surface water resources may be restricted by orders made by the Minister for Water. Permissible Consumptive Volumes (PCVs) cap the total volume of licensed entitlement in a river basin.

The Minister for Water has signed off the following order relating to surface water in Victoria:

pdfDownload PDF Permissable consumptive volume surface water order 2010 (PDF - 195 Kb)